This Easy Pesto Pasta with Sausage and Peas is a family favorite that requires minimal prep. Sure to become your new favorite, this dish will take the guesswork out of a perfect weeknight meal idea that everyone is sure to love. The key here is using prepared pesto which will save us time making this a dish that is ready in 20 minutes. Scroll down to get the recipe and make this tonight!
Ingredient List for Easy Weeknight Pesto Pasta with Sausage and Peas
This speedy pasta dish needs just a handful of ingredients. Here is what we’ll need:
- Pasta of Choice: You can use whatever pasta shape and brand you like. Here, we’re using fusilli pasta. You can also use gluten-free or a bean or pea based pasta.
- Sweet Italian Sausage: You can use pork or chicken sausage here. Feel free to also leave this out for a vegetarian option.
- Frozen Peas: This is a dinner prep shortcut for sure; I always keep a bag of these in the freezer for quick dinner ideas. The kids always love these in a pasta dish.
- Prepared Pesto: You can definitely make fresh pesto, but if you are under a time crunch, use premade or store bought. Here, we’re using a few cubes of my Spinach and Arugula Pesto that I defrosted overnight in the refrigerator.
Preparing the Pesto Pasta with Sausage and Peas in a Flash
To make this easy sausage pasta recipe, first we’ll bring a large saucepan or large pot of salted water to a boil. Add your pasta and cook according to package instructions until al dente. Drain pasta and reserve about 1/4 cup of pasta water for the sauce.
Next, heat 3 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Add the sweet Italian sausage meat and, using a wooden spoon, break the meat into small pieces. Season with sausage meat with a pinch of kosher salt, black pepper, and, if desired, a pinch of crushed red pepper flakes. Cook sausage until browned, about 5-7 minutes. During the last 2-3 minutes of cooking, add the frozen peas and cook until thawed out and any liquid has evaporated, about 5 minutes more.
While the sausage and peas finish cooking, add your prepared pesto to a large mixing bowl. Add the cooked pasta and begin to toss together to combine pasta with pesto sauce. Add in the cooked sausage and peas and mix everything together until combined. Top with grated parmesan and give the pasta one final toss together before serving.
More Speedy Weeknight Meals
This Easy Weeknight Pesto Pasta with Sausage and Peas is a pesto and sausage pasta recipe that is so good to use when we’ve received a bunch of spinach and arugula in our CSA box. It will make a great addition to your weeknight meal rotation and if you enjoy this recipe try a few other speedy pasta dishes below:
- Easy Pasta with Broccolini and Sun Dried Tomatoes
- Sausage and Ricotta Pasta Bake
- Pasta with Caramelized Zucchini
Let me know if you make this recipe by tagging me on Instagram. I can’t wait to see what you make!
In the meantime, cheers to the next nourishing meal. ❤️
Easy Weeknight Pesto Pasta with Sausage and Peas
- 1 pound pasta of choice we used fusilli here
- 3/4 cup frozen peas
- 1 pound Sweet Italian Sausage
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes optional
- 4 tablespoons prepared pesto
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan optional
- Bring a large pot of water to boil. Generously salt with kosher salt then add pasta to cook for about 8 to 10 minutes until al dente. Drain pasta, reserving about 1/4 cup of pasta water for sauce.
- While pasta cooks, heat 3 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add sausage and cook until browned, about 7 to 10 minutes, using a wooden spoon to break sausage up into crumbles. During the last 2 minutes of cooking, add the frozen peas and cook until peas are thawed and warmed through and sausage is fully cooked.
- In a large mixing bowl add the pesto. Add cooked pasta and begin to toss together to combine pasta with pesto sauce. Add in the cooked sausage and peas and mix everything together until combined. Top with grated parmesan and give the pasta one final toss together before serving.